October 17, 2021

USDA Helps Tornado Victims

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has several programs that can help tornado victims including crop insurance, disaster programs and assistance with food and shelter. Some of these programs can help landowners, famers and ranchers regardless of a Presidential or Secretarial declaration.

Severe StormsTornado damage is covered by federal crop insurance. Losses should be reported to insurance agents within 72 hours and in writing within 15 days. Damaged crops seeking coverage can’t be destroyed or replanted until an insurance adjuster has given the go ahead.

The USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) created the Emergency Conservation Program to help farmers and ranchers repair damage from natural disasters and conserve water during drought. The Emergency Forest Restoration Program is a program that helps owners of non-industrial private forests  that are damaged by natural disasters.  Local FSA braches will send a County Committee to inspect damage to determine eligibility.

Through the Food and Nutrition Service the USDA is offering food assistance to tornado victims and the USDA Rural Development staff is giving the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) a list of apartments financed by the USDA that could be used to help those who have been displaced.  For more information about any of these programs, visits Ask FSA.


Report Your Food Poisoning Case
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]

Home About Site Map Contact Us Sponsored by Pritzker Hageman, P.A., a Minneapolis, MN law firm that helps food poisoning victims nationally.